- Following treatment, your child’s teeth, tongue, lips, and cheeks may be numb for an additional 2-4 hours.
- Please watch him/her, as children often find this sensation unusual and may bite or play with the area leading to discomfort when the anesthesia has worn off. If you are taking your child back to school or daycare, please inform his/her teacher or caretaker.
- Stick to cool temperature liquids and spoon-fed foods until the numbness is gone to avoid self injury.
Fillings, Crowns, and Nerve Treatments
- Sensitivity/soreness of the teeth and gums is normal for 2-3 days after treatment.
- Medications such as Tylenol or Motrin, as long as the child is permitted to take this medication, are usually able to adequately control any discomfort.
- If your child has had a crown or space maintainer placed today, they should avoid chewy/sticky foods in that area.
- Your child can eat/drink immediately after treatment. Please stick to liquids and soft foods if he/she is numb.
- Bleeding: Minor bleeding or oozing from the extraction site may occur. Should bleeding continue, place one of the gauze pads provided over the wound and have your child bite with firm pressure for 10 to 15 minutes. For the first night, you may want to place a towel on your child’s pillow just in case.
- Pain/Discomfort: Only minor discomfort is expected after tooth removal. Medications such as Tylenol or Motrin, as long as the child is permitted to take this medication, are usually able to adequately control any discomfort.
- Diet: Avoid drinking hot temperature or carbonated beverages, and chewing coarse or spicy foods for the first 24 hours. To avoid dehydration, make sure your child continues to drink liquids, especially water.
- Oral Hygiene: Your child should continue normal tooth brushing of all teeth except near the area of tooth removal. Normal brushing and flossing of all areas should resume within 2-3 days.
- Spitting should be avoided.
Please contact us immediately if your child experiences prolonged fever, vomiting, and/or facial swelling at 727.786.7551 and follow the instructions for after hours contact information.