Our office and the American Academy of Pediatricians recommend a preventative dental exam as soon as your child’s first tooth erupts, which is normally around six months of age. It may seem early but this appointment is extremely helpful for educating parents on prevention and familiarizing your child with our kid-friendly atmosphere. We will then recommend routine dental exams and cleanings beginning when your child is two years of age. This gives us the opportunity to instill good oral hygiene habits before a cavity can form.
Our goal to create a fun, relaxed environment that will make each child feel comfortable and confident, starting from the first tour of our office to the last stop at the treasure chest on the way out.
Here is what you can expect:
1) After your child has finished playing in the lobby playroom, we will give your child a tour and begin with show-and-tell. We only use kid-friendly words so avoid saying things ahead of time like, “shot”, ”pull”, “drill”, “needle”, “pinch” or “hurt”.
2) Your child takes a ride back in the chair and we use “Mr. Tickle” to shine their teeth. Our staff is highly skilled at helping children overcome anxiety and making them comfortable during the visit.
3) Parents are welcome back but it’s often best to stay in our ‘peek-a-boo’ area where your child cannot see you. Studies show that children react more positively when parents relax in the lobby where parental anxiety cannot be inadvertently transferred to the child. Just like at school, they are more likely to socialize and interact without a parent present. But, every child is unique and we encourage your presence if your child needs you with them.
4) After your child’s appointment, parents speak directly to the Doctor and have all questions answered
First Tooth, First Visit
The ‘First Tooth, First Visit’ appointment was created to help you and your infant establish a dental home. This important appointment will give you the opportunity to sit one-on-one with our doctors to discuss cavity prevention and your infant’s future dental milestones.
Here’s how it works…
1) The dentist will examine your infant’s teeth and gums with a toothbrush and mirror while baby rests in your lap.
2) The doctor will go over her findings, make recommendations, and send you home with a worksheet outlining healthy habits to implement now, along with future milestones.
3) Any questions you have will be answered as your child toddles around the colorful kid zone.
The most challenging part of the appointment will be coaxing your child away from the toys when its time to go!